Announcing the Fall BBC Birdathon!
We’re happy to announce the 2020 Brooklyn Bird Club Fall Birdathon, to be held in celebration of World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) on Saturday, October 10, 2020.
The annual Birdathon asks birders to form teams and count bird species in Brooklyn in support of a cause that helps the birds we love. Everyone is welcome ─ hardcore birders, backyard feeder watchers, and beginners! Like a walkathon, the Birdathon participants collect pledges and donations from friends and family for finding and counting bird species.
This year’s designated beneficiary of our annual Birdathon is the Jamaica Bay Conservancy. We will be purchasing bird-safe window film for the The Salt Marsh Nature Center at Marine Park, Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge visitors’ center and beyond as funding allows. Teams will be instructed how to make donations at the end of the birdathon.
- Form a team of no more than 4 birders, or count birds by yourself.
- Count as many bird species as you can within Brooklyn (Kings County). You can also choose to bird just your favorite birding locale, like Prospect Park. Please feel free to participate at any level you wish. Some of us like to have a leisurely cup of coffee before setting out for the day and other teams (you know – fanatics) get up before dawn to try and bag an owl or two before the sun comes up – it’s your call.
- Bird safely, and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Each participant should maintain proper birding ethics at all times and follow the American Birding Association’s Code of Birding Ethics (see http://www.americanbirding.
- We’ll also have a Zoom happy hour on or around the birdathon date for people to share their day’s adventures. Stay tuned!
Please register your team by sending team members, your day’s goal, and a team name to Bobbi Manian firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, October 6, 2020.